MARK BILTON BSc DipBus MBA
Mark is a commercially astute, “Change Catalyst” with extensive public and private sector MD and CEO experience. His ability to design and implement real world business strategies adds significant value for all stakeholders. He is a quick thinker and able to communicate vision through a leadership style that is genuine, inclusive and engaging. In a complex environment, Mark will see the simple solution and optimise bottom line results quickly.
2011 – Present Gloria Jean’s Coffees, Director and Consultant
2009 – 2011 Hagemeyer Brands Australia, Chief Executive Officer
2006 – 2009 Charles Parsons Group, Group Managing Director
2003 – 2005 Pod Limited (NZX), Managing Director
2001 – 2003 Charles Parsons NZ Ltd, Managing Director
1998 – 2001 Charles Parsons NZ Ltd, Director and 2IC
1997 – 1998 Charles Parsons NZ Ltd, Divisional Manager
1996 – 1997 Notions Fabrics Ltd, General Manager
1995 – 1996 Notions Fabrics Ltd, Sales Manager
1991 – 1995 Bruce Smith Ltd, Sales Agent
1986 – 1991 Brenton Apparel Ltd, Sales Representative
PREVIOUS ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
Chief Executive Officer of Hagemeyer Brands Australia
Consumer Electronics and Kitchen Appliance, Importer and Distributor. (Multinational)
- AUD 300 Million turnover, 300 staff, 50 agents, operating in Australia and New Zealand.
- Total business transformation and recovery role, with a history of sales declines, loss of brands and multimillion dollar EBIT reductions.
- Non-core, non-performing business owned by French listed multinational Rexel S.A.
- Importer, wholesaler and exclusive distributor of premium appliance brands; SMEG, Blanco, De Dietrich, Altise and Omega, and consumer electronics brands; JVC and Polaroid.
ACHIEVEMENTS IN PREVIOUS ROLE
- Transformed business and managed divestment for Rexel.
- Maximised value during SMEG’s exit and returned significant capital to the business.
- Created a vision for growth and a sustainable, scalable business model.
- Developed and implemented a strategic plan, with 90 day review process.
- Restructured a multi-divisional siloed business to a single entity.
- Hagemeyer brand relaunch, including DVD, website, DM and new corporate identity.
- Created Hagemeyer Appliances division and consolidated brands.
- Turned SMEG five-year declines into growth.
- Relaunched Polaroid and De Dietrich.
- Repositioned Omega and Blanco with new marketing and product.
- Significant reduction of internal dysfunction and brand conflicts.
- Culture change initiative.
- Social Media creation marketing programme.
- Complete overhaul of the IT platform including new ERP system.
- Consolidation of warehousing from fourteen sites to four planned and initiated.
- Established an ‘emerging leaders program’.
- New S&OP, distribution system, and supply partners.
ACHIEVEMENTS IN OTHER ROLES
Group Managing Director of Charles Parsons Group. (Privately owned).
A diversified fabric, garment, soft furnishing and industrial textile importer and wholesaler.
- AUD 250 Million turnover, 800 staff in 20 locations, in 6 countries.
- Total business transformation and turnaround role.
- Fourth-generation family company established in 1915 with significant challenges to overcome.
- Profit position obtained within 3 years after 4 years of significant multimillion dollar losses.
- Developed and rolled out a strategic plan and 90 day review process.
- Simplified board structures and corporate entities.
- Significant restructure from over 20 entities to 5 product streams.
- Replace existing and recruited new management teams.
- Divestment of minority joint venture holdings, and acquired three new companies.
- Full overhaul and implementation of distribution, accounting, IT, and HRM, systems.
Managing Director of Pod Ltd (2003–2005)
Textile, furnishing and garment manufacturer and importer. (NZX Listed).
- Publicly listed textile group NZX POD. (Rebranded from Designer Textiles Ltd.)
- 300 staff, 80 million turnover, New Zealand and Australian based business units.
- Sales increased 30% to NZD 80 Million. Gross profit increased by 30%.
- Full business strategy identified and implemented.
- ERP IT system implemented.
- Increased exports by 50% to 25% of sales. Moved from 0% to 35% imports.
- Acquired a fashion garment importer.
Managing Director of Charles Parsons NZ Ltd (1998–2003)
Diversified fabric, garment, soft furnishing and industrial textile importer and wholesaler.
- Sales increased 70% to NZD 45 Million.
- Gross profit increased 125%. Net profit increased to 600%.
- Award-winning distribution centre and head office planned and built.
- Full business process review completed and implemented.
- ERP system implemented.
- Development of a new garment division sourcing from China.
- Culture shift from command and control hierarchal system to open transparent team-based.
PROVEN SKILL BASE AND EXPERIENCE
- Strategic insight, creation and implementation.
- Vision creation and casting.
- Multiple industry experience including, garments, furnishings, appliances, CE, and coffee.
- Team selection, development and proven leadership.
- Restructuring for sustainability, profit and growth.
- Acquisitions, mergers and divestments.
- Real-world positive cultural change.
- Customer orientated sales background.
- Postgraduate business study. (Grad.Dip.Bus, MBA.)
- Manufacturing, importing, distribution, brand management, retail and agency knowledge.
- 20 years of Asian and European trading experience.
- Multi-business, Group and International business management.
- Designed and implemented, Supply Chain, HR and IT systems.
- Public, multinational, and major private company experience.
- Internationally awarded CEO and leader.
Sheffield Consulting. (1996)
Conceptual Reasoning. RSPM Test, 98%
Verbal Reasoning. ACER PL Test, 99%
Numerical Reasoning. RSPM Test, 96%